Nocton Vineyard is seeking a hands-on Working Vineyard Manager to manage all aspects of vineyard operations at a beautiful, friendly vineyard in Richmond Tasmania.
Nocton Vineyard was established in 1999 and is based in the super premium wine growing region, the Coal River Valley, Tasmania with 35 hectares planted vines.
You will be in charge of all viticulture operations including grape production, organizing and supervising staff, and assuring compliance with all regulations related to grape production. We’re looking for someone who has a deep understanding of Tasmania cool climate viticulture. We need a self-starter with the ability to perform all aspects of viticulture operations.
The Vineyard Manager will manage literally all aspects of the vineyard operation, from planting to harvest and everything in between. They will need to be hard working and capable of multi-tasking and supervising other vineyard workers. We look forward to hearing from qualified candidates!
Position Reports to:
• Must have strong computer skills and the ability to multi-task
• Willingness to do literally any and all functions required to operate the vineyard
• A strong and proven work ethic
• Understanding of vineyard/farm management practices and procedures
• Demonstrated leadership and decision-making skills
• Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
Responsibilities & Duties:
Responsible for all aspects of managing the vineyard, including but not limited to:
• Cultivation, thinning, pruning, tying, suckering, canopy management, planting and replanting, irrigating and harvesting
• Pest, fungicide and herbicide management
• Irrigation, monitoring and making recommendations related to vineyard and fruit quality
• Communications with wine maker
• Erosion control, trellis Installation, irrigation installation, frost protection, vineyard installation, fence installation and R&M
• Provide and acquire proper tools for all jobs; make sure that workers use the necessary equipment; keep areas clean and orderly; comply with OH&S.
• Enforce company policy; ensure that every job or task is safe for the employees; supervise to make sure all work is carried out correctly; assist the workers and treat them with respect
• Good operator on various farm equipment and harvester.
• Must be able to reasonably estimate harvest equipment needed; provide accurate harvest estimates; work within assigned budgets
• Understand and train employees in Policy, Procedures and Safety
• Increase/improve fruit and wine quality
• Ensure that all necessary equipment is on site and in good operating condition prior to work
• Effectively communicate and work cooperatively with support staff
• Search out and evaluate vineyard problems and make recommendations that provide effective, timely and economic solutions and deliver quality fruit
• Minimum 5 years in vineyard management experience
• Prove track records in vineyard management
Our ideal candidate loves to work outdoors, understands hard work, communicates well, and comes to us with hands-on agriculture or farm experience. The ideal person will lead by example and work hard to ensure that all vineyard operations run smoothly and efficiently, understanding the importance of both leadership and teamwork. This person will be taking on a huge responsibility and will be ready on Day One to manage, learn, and utilize all their resources to get the job done!
Fully Maintained company vehicle, phone, laptop will be provided.