Winemaker - AusGrape
- Customer focused and innovation driven
- Great team environment & working culture
- Benefits include Birthday leave, Volunteer days, Further education and study support+ more!
About Australian Vintage
At Australian Vintage, our purpose is to make the world a smaller place through sharing good times.
Australian Vintage (AV) is an ASX listed multi award winning Australian wine company with a strong global reach. AV’s portfolio consists of the McGuigan, Tempus Two, Nepenthe and Barossa Valley Wine Company Brands amongst others.
Our Buronga Hill winery is one of Australia’s most technologically advanced Wineries and is Australia’s 3rd largest winery by Crush Capacity. Winemakers will have access to technologies including Spinning Cone Column, Flash Détente, Electrodialysis, Floatation and Crossflow.
Leveraging our world-class assets and innovative know-how, in 2022 we expanded into spirits and ready-to-drink cocktails to diversify our portfolio and deliver products that consumers are demanding - from a world-first gin to a playful sustainable spirit and high-quality cocktail convenience.
We are proud to be committed to an ESG strategy that encompasses environmental impact and climate action, alongside social impact initiatives to support communities and good corporate governance. We have set an ambitious climate target – informed by current climate science – to achieve Net Zero carbon emissions by 2040 across the entire value chain. Our Buronga Hill winery and Merbein packaging facility are 100% powered by wind and solar.
Australian Vintage is proudly recognised by Mental Health First Aid Australia as an accredited Mental Health First Aid workplace as of January 2023
About the role:
We have an exciting opportunity for a motivated Winemaker to join our Buronga Hill Winemaking team based in the Mildura region.
Working at AV’s Buronga Hill Winery, the Winemaker – AusGrape ensures the grape to glass process of converting raw grapes into finished grape juice products for the AusGrape value add programs is performed at the highest level whilst at the same time assisting with the production of AVs world class NoLo wines. This position is critical in maintaining AusGrape as the lead quality grape product supplier globally as well as assisting AV to maintain its position as the market leader in NoLo quality and innovation.
Reporting to the Lead Winemakers (Mildura based) your primary duties will include:
- Maintain product quality standards across all products in the AusGrape portfolio as directed by the Lead Winemakers.
- Process and maintain each juice and/or wine product to the expected style and specification as directed by Lead Winemakers.
- During harvest ensure intake runs smoothly and wine and juice styles are developed and maintained as determine by Head Winemaker and relevant Lead Winemakers.
- Create cellar notes, in particular for blending, additions, evaporation, packing, ion-exchange, filtration and spinning cone column in a timely manner to maximise the efficiency of cellar equipment for operations agreed with the relevant Lead Winemaker.
- Assist with the Juice maintenance program with the Lead Winemaker - Juice.
- Ensure communications in relation to quality, suggestions and progress of operations are shared with wider Winemaking team.
- Manage any ullage created and ensure pack downs are actioned as priority.
- Carry out blending and fining trials on all products and taste/assess with the Lead and/or Head Winemaker.
- Cross train with the other Winemakers to ensure all wines, products and styles are well understood.
- Contribute opinions to tastings including benchmark tastings.
- Ensure all wines are made compliant as required specific to customers and required markets.
- Contribute to Engagement and wine culture across the wider winery team.
- Collaborate with the wider operations and productions teams including the Lab to ensure efficient and on time processing.
- Maintain the specification and technical detail for portfolio of products.
- Maintain and complete all required documentation.
- Vintage hours / shift and weekends as required.
We are looking for:
- Formal qualifications: Tertiary qualifications in Wine Science (or equivalent) is essential.
- Communication skills: We are looking for someone with strong communication skills who has the ability to build positive relationships within our business.
- A team player: We are looking for someone who thrives in a team environment where collaboration is at the forefront of day-to-day operations.
- Computer literacy: The ability to demonstrate sounds computer skills is essential. Previous experience using Bulk Wine Programs (such as InnoVint, Ezy Wine, Vintrace) is advantageous.
- Industry knowledge: Minimum 2 years’ experience in medium to large scale winemaking and winery technologies, Strong organoleptic skills, Good communication skills, Works well in teams, Fast-paced, Well organised, Quality focussed.
Australian Vintage Benefits
We're proud to offer a strong benefits package that we know can make a big difference to work life and life outside of work.
- Primary carer parental leave offering 26 weeks paid leave
- Loyalty leave
- Birthday leave
- Volunteer days
- Further education and study support
- Flexible working
- Mental health and wellbeing training and support
- Annual product allowance
- Options to purchase additional annual leave
- Sabbaticals and career breaks
- Continuation of superannuation while on paid and unpaid parental leave
To apply please visit our careers website - http://careers.australianvintage.com.au/
Applications close: 14th November 2023
Check out more about our Net Zero goals here; https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6968761852780564480/
To learn more about Australian Vintage, please visit our website at http://www.australianvintage.com.au/.