"Heroes" Vineyard is seeking an assistant winemaker or cellar hand for the 2023 vintage.
This role would ideally suit an Oenology student or recent graduate with some prior vintage experience, though anyone with the right attitude and winery experience is welcome to apply.
As a small team, processing only around 30 tonnes per year, part of the appeal for any candidate will be the opportunity to get involved in every part of the process, with varied tasks and responsibilities. We offer a very enjoyable and rewarding work environment, though it will be important to work efficiently and with a focus on quality outcomes at all times.
We have a no compromise approach to viticulture and winemaking, with all estate fruit being low yielding, organic and unirrigated. The work is relatively labour intensive, but very rewarding, with small batches across all varieties, slow unhurried ferments and minimal handling (the winery has no de-stemmer - when de-stemming is carried out, it is done by hand - not as bad as you'd imagine, don't be put off!).
We are located about an hour's drive west of Geelong in the beautiful Otway Ranges. It's a 25 minute drive to Lorne, or a stone's throw from waterfall walks and giant Mountain Ashes.
Work will commence mid-March and run for about 6 weeks. Pay is at the award, dependant on experience, with a wine allowance. Although we don't have on site accommodation, help can be provided with a variety of options close by. We are looking for good outcomes for our wine, but also for you and will do our best to ensure vintage is a great experience.
Key criteria to be addressed in your application:
- A passion for quality, terroir driven wines.
- Proven experience of usual winery processes, including pressing, ferment rounds and barrel work.
- Knowledge of basic lab work preferred, but not essential.
- A willingness to work in any part of the process. This may include assisting in the vineyard, removing nets, some occasional picking, and collecting fruit from the vineyard and/or receiving fruit in the winery.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0490345149 for further information.