Our winery and bottling operations are growing and we are looking for a hands-on Winemaker to join the team. We are a 350-tonne winery, that focuses on crafting minimal intervention wines from alternative and conventional varieties. We are known for pushing the boundaries and are looking for someone that can embrace this to help craft the next generation of Unico Zelo wines, while continuing to produce the wines our customers already love. This is a full-time role Monday to Friday on the Operations team, based at our Gumeracha winery and distillery.
You will be responsible for all of the winemaking and bottling activities of Unico Zelo and Harvest wines including the maintenance of our production software, Vinsight. Work will be delivered as projects and you will be responsible for communicating and executing them with the cellar team.
During vintage, a typical day in this role will involve hands-on daily fruit processing, providing direction to the cellar team for fermentation and barrel management and maintenance of our winery software program.
Outside of vintage, the role will involve preparing wines for bottling and providing direction to the cellar team for racking, blending and filtration activities, setting up bottling schedules and operations, and working closely with our bottling supervisor and supply partners to manage productivity and downtime on the bottling line.
Skills you need to be successful in this role:
• Be self-motivated, proactive and work autonomously
• Lead by example and take pride in the quality of your work and workplace
• Computer and organisational skills, with a high level of attention to detail
• Problem-solving skills and mechanical aptitude
• Leadership mindset with strong people and human relations skills
Roles and Responsibilities
• Leads the production and supervision of the following tasks at vintage and outside of vintage: wine production, blending and maturation of wine and storage
• Sets out and protects the styles and technical standards of the company's production
• Controls the production standards of wine to ensure volume, quality and cost standards are met
• Formulates vintage crush plan and fruit intake schedule
• Formulates bottling schedule and builds packaging operations
• Develops winemaking capabilities across the company, leads ongoing innovation and continually improving production processes and workflows
• Provides leadership, guidance and direction to the cellar and bottling teams
• Maintains good employee relations and manages the performance and development of the cellar and bottling teams
• Develop and implement the maintenance schedule of cellar and bottling equipment
• Participate in promotional and public relations functions, tastings and educational sessions
• Comply with all relevant State and Federal legislation, pertaining to the production of wine as well as OH & S, Workers Compensation, EEO, Environment
• Ensure policy compliance for LIP, quality, management systems and process improvements
• Reports to the Operations Director
• Directly supervises the Cellar Team, Winery Coordinator and Bottling Supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
• Degree in Oenology and practical winemaking experience for 4-5 vintages
• Manufacturing environment experience
Why join one of the fastest-growing teams of drinks-fuelled-agri-geeks?
• We are a passionate, growing and ambitious team with career opportunities
• Generous staff perks including wine, tees, volunteer leave and working from home
• We are a certified B-Corp - committed to not just profit, but the planet and people too.
To apply for this role, please submit a resume and cover letter that includes your expected annual salary and previous skills and experience that would make you successful in this position. Applications will be open until the 20th of November.