Established in 1974 and nestled in the heart of Tasmanian wine country, Pipers Brook Vineyard in the beautiful Tamar Valley is recognised as one of the pioneering vineyards of the Tasmanian wine industry. We are a family owned, award winning company, known for producing exceptional cool climate wines under labels that include Ninth Island, Pipers Tasmania, Pipers Brook and Kreglinger Sparkling.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable “hands on” vineyard supervisor to be part of our vineyard management team. The role will supervise operations and logistics on a day-to-day basis across our estate, encompassing 165 hectares and 6 sites around Launceston. The role is perfect for someone who has a genuine interest in viticulture and enjoys working outdoors. We are interested in candidates who are passionate about the wine industry and are willing to work hard. The vineyard supervisor is expected to deliver, be self-motivated, not complacent, and always challenging the status quo.
The position will report to the Viticulturist.
In this role you will be supervising a range of vineyard operations including trellis maintenance, pruning and canopy management. You will be responsible for the supervision and motivation of our vineyard crews to improve productivity and performance.
- Ensure compliance related to workplace health and safety, policies, and procedures.
- Report to and work collaboratively with the rest of the vineyard team.
- Build employee development, education and morale to ensure high performance.
- Assist in the coordination of our labour force to ensure quality and production targets are achieved.
- Notify management team of any disease, weed and irrigation issues.
- Be competent in basic machinery maintenance and frequent safety checklists.
- Assist with irrigation and fertigation activities when required.
- Ensure that the vineyards are well maintained and presentable.
Experience and Education
- Tertiary qualifications in Viticulture, Farm management, Horticulture, Agriculture, or other related areas is desirable.
- Experience leading by example and in supervising contractors and staff from different backgrounds. ideally previous experience as a Foreman on vineyard or horticulture.
- Ability to learn, adapt and train staff in all aspects of vineyard operations
- Previous farming experience ideally in row crops would be well regarded.
- Have an outstanding work ethic and be prepared to operate with flexibility during peak periods
- Well organised with excellent time management and basic record keeping skills.
- Sense of urgency and capacity to work on multiple tasks.
- Good communication skills
Training and support will be provided for suitable candidates
Please address the following questions in your application:
How many years of experience do you have as a leading hand or supervisor?
What's your expected annual base salary?
How much notice are you required to give your current employer?