Job Title: Winemaker
Reports to: General Manager / Senior Winemaker
Responsible for the Supervision of; Cellar Hands, Laboratory Technician.
With growth potential to manage the Vineyard Hand and Bottling Staff.
General Description: The successful applicant will fill an existing position as winemaker in a mid-sized winery. Making a range of wine styles from several different regions. A diverse skillset required to cover both technical and practical winemaking tasks.
- Plan, Control and Record daily activities in the cellar and Laboratory;
- Sensory evaluation, blending, fining and all winemaking activities in consultation with the Senior Winemaker;
- Production of wines according to required style;
- Preparation, control and supervision of work orders for the cellar;
- Manage the technical aspects of bottling and warehousing
- Manage the Cellar and the laboratory;
- Preparation of wines for bottling including pre-bottling Q.C.
- Review training and procedures and train personnel in the cellar;
- Maintenance of cellar operational procedures;
- Maintenance of OH&S standards for employee safety;
- Ensure that Australian Food Standards and LIP Regulations are met;
- Sample preparation including show wines;
- Monitor Stock Levels and re-ordering of winery consumables and additives
Key Result Areas
- Consistency of quality and wine styles;
- Preparation of wines to meet the production schedule;
- Continual improvement of wine styles and techniques;
- Cellar hygiene and general housekeeping;
- Safe and clean workplace;
- The wine produced must meet the desired specifications;
- Meet the bottling schedule;
- Ensure all wines meet legal and company requirements;
- Ensure that all communications achieve the desired positive results required;
- Ensure that cellar procedures are adhered to at all times;
- Ensure that cellar procedures up to date and periodically reviewed;
- Ensure that all OH&S standards are met.
- Maintain a clean and safe winery environment
- Have a thorough knowledge of all the company’s products and how they are manufactured
- Competent at all wine cellar tasks;
- Have a thorough knowledge of winemaking process and procedures;
- Ability to manage the winemaking processes to achieve specifications;
- Have the ability to identify faults in wine and know how to remedy them;
- Have effective people management skills to motivate an allow positive results;
- Tertiary degree in Oenology or equivalent;
- Minimum of 5 years experience.