Margan Wines are looking to engage an Assistant Winemaker. The right candidate will work closely with Winery Team to produce premium wines from our 100 hectares of sustainably certified and estate grown grapevines.
A passion for exceptional wine (both here and afar), keen eye for detail, cleanliness, organisational skills and a motivated team member are all qualities that the right candidate will possess.
In the 25 years of Margan's history, the brand has become known for its work within traditional wine styles of the region including varieties such as Semillon, Chardonnay and Shiraz. Most notably though, is our work with alternate varieties and contemporary styles. Albarino and Barbera establishing themselves as flagships of the estate as well as several unique 'field blend' expressions. Viticulture is paramount to everything that we do at Margan and so an interest/aptitude in this area is essential.
A little about Margan...
We established our business, Margan in 1996 in the picturesque village of Broke, Hunter Valley which is Australia’s oldest wine region. All Margan wines are Estate Grown and made as well as certified Sustainably Farmed. Margan has been rated a five-star winery (James Halliday Wine Companion) since 2009, twice winner of the Hunter Valley Cellar Door of the Year, Viticulturist of the Year winner and NSW Tourism Hall of Fame winner in recognition of our cellar door, winery and restaurant.
We have 100 hectares of distinguished Margan vineyards, across two locations. These vineyards are planted to a mixture of 50-year-old traditional Hunter varieties and pioneering alternatives we have planted ourselves. Most of the vineyards are planted on the unique soil of the Fordwich Sill providing our wines with their special sense of place. We make all our wines onsite at our Broke based winery with annual production around 25,000 cases. You can try all our wines at our beautiful rammed earth cellar door where we have structured tastings, including new releases as well as aged and museum wines.
We are also proud to be regarded as leaders in environmental stewardship and are fully accredited with Sustainable Winegrowing Australia and Freshcare. We were one of the first in the Hunter to achieve this and our certification benchmarks to the ISO14000 series (International Standards) for best practice. This means we follow a detailed Environmental Management Plan (EMP) to reduce our impact across all business operations in the four basic pillars of sustainability – reduction of greenhouse gases, energy efficiency, water management and the reduction of waste.
Tertiary qualification (or nearing completion) in Oenology or related field.
• Minimum 2 years vintage experience.
• Strong competency in IT, logistics and administration. Knowledge of Vintrace software highly regarded.
• Ability to use initiative and be solution focused in a fast-paced environment.
• Laboratory skills and ability to interpret analytical data.
• Team oriented with a willingness to be involved.
• As a key member of the production team, assist in maintaining cellar standards and ensure all wines are made to an exacting quality.
• Be able to closely liaise with cellar staff, contract clients, suppliers, and key stakeholders to ensure the highest level of standards are maintained in line with company objectives.
• Physically fit and competent in cellar operations including operation of plant and equipment and contributing to their maintenance.
• Willingness to work extended hours during the Vintage Period and contribute where required to promotional and sales events.
• Assist in the maintenance, application and continual improvement of the company WHS program.
• Current forklift license
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applicants must have Australian citizenship/residency or a valid existing Australian work visa.
Please forward a copy of your CV and cover letter via email.