The winery takes its name from pioneering horticulturist Amos William Howard who, in 1889, discovered subterranean clover growing naturally on the site where the Howard Vineyard Cellar Door stands today. His find led to a major contribution in pasture productivity in the Adelaide Hills area and throughout rural Australia, a thriving clover seed export industry continues to this day. Established in the late 1990s, the Howard Vineyard Group purchased a site at Nairne and another at Schoenthal, with the view to planting vines and creating a quality boutique wine brand. The Howard Vineyard brand was established in 2005 and the Cellar Door opened in November 2006. Since then the business and the brand have steadily grown with our wines fast becoming known for their delicate notes and fruit purity, a distinctive characteristic of our single vineyard grapes.